Saturday, November 20, 2010

beef stew

(this photo really sucks, I should stick to stealing them.)


Beef Stew

5 russet potatoes
3 large carrots
4 TB butter
1 TB minced garlic
1 pkg beef stew seasoning
2 cups water
2 cups leftover roast, shredded*

Peel & chop vegetables. Place 2 of the chopped potatoes into a small pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer until they start to fall apart.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large soup pot. When it begins to bubble, add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and carrots- saute for about 10 minutes or until golden. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer until potatoes are fork tender.

Mash or puree the small pot of potatoes. Stir the seasoning into the water, and pour into the puree. Stir in the roast, and add to the large soup pot. Reduce heat to low- simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Serve in bread bowls or with bread.

After dinner Danny told me that this was the best beef stew he has ever eaten. I usually make it in the crock pot and I just use stew meat- but today I had leftover roast and didn't plan enough time ahead to dig out the crock pot-so I have learned my lesson and will make it like this from now on!

* I love making a large roast and then using the "leftovers" for this soup- (among other dishes) it makes such a delicious stew, and saves time!

No comments:

Post a Comment