Sunday, December 20, 2009

creamy chicken corn chowder

I got this recipe from my friend Kim. It's her favorite soup, and it's now Danny's too!

My changes are in purple.

*Creamy Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

3 chicken breasts, diced (4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded)

1/2 cup chopped onions (I put mine in the food processor)

1-‐2 cloves minced garlic

3 Tbsp butter

2 chicken bouillon cubes

1 cup hot water

1/2 to 1 tsp ground cumin

( 1TB smoked paprika, 1 TB Mexican chili powder)

2 cups half and half

2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

1 (14 3/4oz) cream style corn (1 bag frozen corn, thawed. I put 2/3rds of it in the food processor with a few TB of half & half)

1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies, undrained

1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce (pinch of red pepper flakes)

1 medium tomato, chopped (no tomato)

fresh cilantro (optional)

Tortilla strips


In a dutch over or large saucepan, brown chicken, onion, and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Dissolve the bouillon in hot water. Add to pan along with cumin; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add half and half, cheese, corn, chilies, and Tabasco sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Stir in chopped tomato. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro if desired.


Notes:

*This is the base recipe that I start from, but I always tweak it and do things differently every time.


The last few times that I have made it, I cheated and just used a Costco Chicken that I shredded and added to the soup base. Its super easy, less messy and really yummy, but I have made it both ways and it's always great.


I also add some cilantro into the soup at the end of the cooking instead of just as a garnish.


Also, I like a little bit thicker soup so I make a roux using 2Tbsp butter and 2Tbsp flour, microwave it, stir it up and add it to the soup to thicken it.



No comments:

Post a Comment