Sunday, December 13, 2009

Massaman Curry


(or Chicken with Peanut Curry Sauce)


2 T canola oil

1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1” pieces

salt and pepper

vegetables of choice, fresh or frozen (I use carrots and red potatoes and I usually par-boil them just a bit)


Peanut Curry Sauce:

1.5 cups coconut milk ( I use light)

1/2 cup chicken broth (I use low-sodium)

1/3 cup peanut butter

2 T packed brown sugar

2 T lime juice

1 T red curry paste

Dry Roasted Peanuts * optional (you can easily tweak this sauce, if you like your curry spicier, sweeter, etc)


In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to hot oil: cook about 5 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add whatever vegetables you like. Cook and stir 3 minutes more.


Meanwhile, whisk together ingredients for Peanut Curry Sauce in a medium bowl. Pour into skillet over chicken and vegetables, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat; simmer for 10+ minutes or until vegetables are to desired tenderness.


Serve with Coconut Rice


Coconut Rice


1 cup white rice (I use calrose)

1 cup chicken broth (low sodium)

3/4 cup coconut milk

2 T lime juice

1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted


You are basically just making white rice as directed, but using the above liquids rather than water. While the rice is cooking toast the coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden brown. If you have a rice cooker, it makes it easier... but the stovetop works fine too.

Add toasted coconut to the rice and fluff just before serving.

Enjoy!


* I used regular coconut milk, and organic chicken broth. I also added some red pepper flakes to the sauce for a bit more spice.


I used yams instead of carrots because Danny does not like carrots- and I used red, golden and purple fingerling potatoes- and they were perfect!


Recipe from Kim's Kitchen.


and, I did NOT take that photo. I found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment